Butterfly Garden

Butterfly Garden
Magical...

Monday, May 5, 2014

As I Still See It


About 10 years ago I started a weekly column (Fridays) in the newspaper. It really was a dream come true. I grew up reading The Lake County News-Sun and I have always loved to write. I called it a “Day in the Life” and I had quite a following. The paper was going through a bumpy transition at the time and I moved on, but I always regretted my decision. I usually don’t bail out on things and my ego got into the way a bit. Lessons are hard learned, but I am grateful for every one of them even when I am clearly wrong.

Life for me has changed, the newspaper business has, our area has, and I am sure the readers have in the last five years. However, more than ever I believe that my kind of column remains a voice that identifies with the majority. Whether it is talking about Lake County in the present or past, reporting on events recently attended, or discussing the topics that touch our hearts and drive us mad- I want to write a column we can all relate to in some way. The people I grew-up with find it hard to relate to what this county looks like now after leaving years ago. Yet, many call this home and relish the memories we share.

In the last decade, I have gone through a lot of changes. I am now retired, one class away from a BS in psychology, have two accomplished grown daughters with their Masters working in education, a husband of 37 years, two amazing granddaughters, have traveled a more spiritual path, become more active in my community, and continued to feed my passion to write whenever possible.

Think about all that has changed since 2003 in the world and more importantly in your lives. Newspapers are not read for the latest news, but what is relevant in our lives. We can find out what we need to know, minutes after it happens on the internet. The networks loop news all day long, but we don’t hear what is going on in our neighborhoods, what important changes our happening in our towns, or how our schools are doing. Facebook is so popular with adults because we want those connections with others. With friends today and the ones faraway, touching base if only for a minute as we deal with our hectic schedules, and as the song from Train laments, “We all have bruises”, knowing we aren’t alone in this life.

Maybe reminiscing about our shared favorite spots, the latest bonehead move in the government, or aligning our chakras. All interesting ideas we can flesh out and explore in the weeks to come. Do you know where I am coming from?  So, are you with me? Willing to give me another chance? Life as I see it, your take on it, and what is important in our lives every day. That’s what I’m talking about…

No comments: