Butterfly Garden

Butterfly Garden
Magical...

Monday, March 19, 2007

Pet Food Scare is Making Us All Sick

I have a headache or actually a queasy stomach and a headache. I think I am getting the flu. I was around somebody who is suffering, at the same time I'm writing this tome, with this dreaded malady I've been trying to avoid all season. Hey, wait maybe I have a temperature thing going on now that I think about it- or just maybe I am just a tad bit worried about my dog and two cats.

Being very busy this weekend, I missed the big hubbub over the recalled pet food scare which started apparently last Friday. By the time I heard and later saw the information that proved my dog, Henry, was not in jeopardy (even though there were 51 names on the list to peruse) I discovered our two cats were at risk as well. Oh my gosh, there were about 40 names on the cat food recall list too. The scary part of this whole scenario is in the sheer numbers of cans and pouches of food this product recall encompasses. It is truly amazing that my household pets were spared, but Purina has my eternal gratitude.

You think that you are doing a good thing paying the big bucks for these specialty foods to keep the pet you love in good health for many years to come, but in reality the same manufacturer is making all of them. They are so like each other that 50 different brand names are tainted because they are all coming from Menu Foods Income Fund out of Ontario, Canada. They make Eukenaba, Iams, and Nutro pet foods besides the other store brands on the list.

Does something seem very wrong with that or is it just me? Store brands, big names, and some with no imagination at all (Your Pet?) have all been infected with some toxin that can kill our beloved furry friends slowly but surely. The news reports mentioned some kind of gluten that might be responsible. What does gluten do in dog or cat food anyway? I am afraid to know what kind of meat is used.

What kind of guilt is that to carry? You lose your pet and then possibly at your own unknowing hands. That really stinks. I lost my beloved cocker spaniel after 14 years and a cat who was over 20 to old age and I was not sure I would survive the pain I felt. They were part of our family and not just some four-legged creatures who took up space. Knowing a death could have been avoided, I would be a true basket case if I was the one feeding them the poison

The other question is the same exact food going into the same cans? Are we paying premium prices when we could get the same quality with a discount label? This opens up another can of worms, don't ya think? Menu Foods has some explaining to do. Until next time...

No comments: