Butterfly Garden

Butterfly Garden
Magical...

Friday, August 3, 2007

Where in the world are we going?

Here I am almost five months in exile from my column. Although, I admitted my departure for artistic reasons might have been a bit hasty, I still seem to be Persona non Grata with my former employers. A lesson learned, I guess. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Anyway, it has forced me to look elsewhere for my writing fix. Better things are on their way.

There certainly is plenty to write about with turmoil all around us. The War in Iraq keeps churning along with a death toll that continues to claim far too many. What is scary to me and should be to everyone else who cares about our young men and women fighting in this senseless battle; the psychological ramifications when these brave soldiers come home. We are in for a generation of veterans scarred emotionally and physically that will make the Vietnam War look tame in comparison. The government better take care of our own with honor and dignity. Their lives forever changed when they signed on to protect their country only to become pawns in an never-ending internal conflict. The cost is too high, President Bush.

How about our housing market? Tanking before our eyes. Or the number of bankruptcies filed this year? Twice as many as the year before. Bridges and our infrastructure? Falling apart at the seams. Yet, the stock market is working its way up to an all-time high! We have trouble, my friend. Hopefully, the bottom won't fall out on us.

My biggest concern for this week? Why does an American teacher fresh out of college need to learn Spanish in their own country to qualify for most teaching jobs these days? Most vacancies are for bilingual certification, but that is not what they are requiring in college. So what is wrong with this picture? Until next time...

No comments: